Friday 16 April 2010

Pay day

Pay day has arrived. I sit up in bed and punch the air with my fist. At long last, money in my account.

I've been wanting a grey trench coat ever since I saw the sister of a murderer wearing one in the French film I've Loved You For So Long. I make an early morning decision to bypass second-hand rails, closing-down sales and bargain bins and treat myself in a proper shop.

I get out of bed to make a coffee. While I'm putting on the kettle I do some calculations: rent, bills, £110 tube, laptop payment, girl essentials, gluten-free food, payment for Italy holiday for a wedding... Before I have lifted the coffee cup to my lips I am already £400 overdrawn. My pay day euphoria has lasted roughly five minutes. The grey trench coat has been ripped from my shoulders. Again.

My morning coffee tastes more bitter than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment